Below is a summary of the recent enacted Continued Assistance to Rail Workers Act of 2020 (CARWA) & COVID-19
The following highlights some of the provisions contained in the newest legislation including CARWA:
- $2 Billion in funding for Amtrak
- Removal of sequestration deduction for Railroad Unemployment and Sickness Benefits until the Emergency Declaration for COVID-19 is lifted. Rail workers will receive full unemployment and sickness benefits during this period.
- Federal supplement benefit of $600 per two-week unemployment period from December 26, 2020 to March 14, 2021.
- Extended unemployment benefits for railroad workers who have exhausted their benefits for claims starting after enactment for claim weeks through March 14, 2021. (No extended benefits are payable after April 5, 2021.)
- Waiver of the 7-day waiting period for benefits under the RUIA through March 14, 2021
The link below contains some common questions and answers regarding the application of these benefits for railroad workers as well as instructions on filing for benefits from the Railroad Retirement Board.