Register an Account
Forgot Login?
You Just Received Your Certificate of Service Months and Compensation. Now What?
Jul 09, 2024

FAQ: What to Do When You Receive Your Form BA-6, Certificate of Service Months and Compensation

Q: What is Form BA-6? A: Form BA-6, Certificate of Service Months and Compensation, is an annual record of your creditable service and compensation reported by all covered employers.

Q: What information is included in Form BA-6? A: The form includes:

  • Creditable compensation amounts and service months reported for the last four years
  • Reported separation allowance/severance pay
  • Total reported service months, creditable military service months, and deemed service months
  • Employee contribution amount
  • Procedures for protesting the information on the certificate
  • Procedures for applying for benefits under the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act (RUIA)
  • Information about visiting a Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) field office

Q: Who receives Form BA-6? A: All employees who received creditable compensation in the preceding calendar year, provided that this compensation was timely and correctly reported to the RRB. This includes any adjustments to regular compensation, sick pay, or separation allowances received before the cutoff date for updating employee records.

Q: Why might my Form BA-6 only show the first five letters of my last name? A: This occurs if the RRB has not yet verified your social security number and name with the Social Security Administration (SSA), often happening in the first year you work in the railroad industry.

Q: What should I do if I did not receive my Form BA-6? A: If you have not received your Form BA-6, it might be due to an omission or error in your employer's report or because the RRB does not have your address. You can obtain a copy by:

  • Visiting your local RRB field office
  • Writing to the Chief of Compensation and Employer Services
  • Calling the RRB toll-free help line at 1-877-772-5772
  • Visiting the RRB website at www.rrb.gov to find local RRB field office information

Q: What should I do if my address has changed? A: To update your address, your employer needs to submit a new address using Form BA-6a. Refer to Part V, Chapter 5 for detailed instructions on filing Form BA-6a.

Q: What if I need to protest the information on my Form BA-6? A: Follow the procedures outlined on the form to protest any information you believe is incorrect.

Q: How do I apply for benefits under the RUIA? A: The form includes procedures for applying for benefits. Visit an RRB field office or follow the instructions provided on the form for more details.

For any further assistance or questions, please contact your local RRB field office or use the toll-free help line at 1-877-772-5772. More information is also available on the RRB website at www.rrb.gov.

Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen
917 Shenandoah Shores Road
Front Royal, VA 22630
  (540) 622-6522

Top of Page image

Download Our App!
Powered By UnionActive - Copyright © 2024. All Rights Reserved.